Saturday, November 12, 2011

That stunk! to thank you

I think my favorite part of this last week was making that list of 10 crises in our family or a family close to us, and then in class rating it from "that stunk!" to "thank you." As I was making my list and trying to recall family crises there were no thoughts of "thank you," only "that stunk!" I had never thought about those trials from a present perspective. In class Brother Williams asked us to think about how those trials influenced our family system and this helped me to see the positive effects the trials had. After recognizing how each specific trial had strengthened and bonded my family I had to rate almost all of our crises as "thank you." I really like learning about families as a system. This gives me a new view of my family now, and changes the the way I perceive past events (the cognition part of crises.)

1 comment:

  1. That is so true! I think I also have a more positive perspective of my family, now that I have been able to recongize some of the positive patterns im my family and not just the negative ones. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete